This post may contain affiliate links. Full disclosure policy
Ripe, luscious berries, creamy goat cheese, and a light, flavorful vinaigrette combine to create a delectable summertime salad in the form of my Strawberry and Chevre Salad. Perfect for a side salad or as a light luncheon entrée.
Summetime is the Right Time for Strawberry and Chevre Salad
When local strawberries are at their flavorful peak, I look for as many ways to serve them as possible.
Though an unexpected encounter with Covid forced us to cancel our plans for Fourth of July entertaining, I still pulled together a simple holiday meal for my husband and myself. Grilled hot dogs, store bought potato salad, and ice cream was on the menu. But the star of the show was definitely this Strawberry and Chevre Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette.
It was super quick and easy to make, which was definitely a plus since I wasn’t feeling one hundred percent at that time. But most importantly, it looked and tasted just beautiful.
What do You Need to make Strawberry and Chevre Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette?
The ingredients for this salad are things you may already have on hand….
- Lettuce (a tender variety, such as Butter lettuce or Baby Spring Mix)
- Chevre (goat cheese)
- Blanched, sliced almonds
- Vegetable oil
- Sesame oil
- Rice vinegar
- Sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
Really, I think this is going to be my new favorite summer salad. Though it seems almost deceptively simple, this salad has so much going for it!
The flavors are delicate, but the fresh taste of tender lettuce and the sweetness of the strawberries married with a tangy but slightly sweet sesame vinaigrette is fantastic. Underlying all of that is the savory crunch of almonds and that wonderful, subtle umami flavor from the sesame oil. And when you bring in the creamy texture and taste of the goat cheese, it adds up to a very special salad!
How Should You Serve Your Strawberry and Chevre Salad?
This salad would be an excellent first course for a company dinner or a side salad for a family meal. However, I think it would also be a wonderful main course for a light summer luncheon or dinner.
It would also be wonderful served with a simply grilled chicken breast or with one of my all-time favorite summer recipes, Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon.
Whether served on its own or as a side dish, Strawberry and Chevre Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette is the perfect summertime salad. Give it a try soon. I think it’ll become one of your new favorite recipes!Print
For the salad:
- 4 cups butter lettuce (can sub other tender lettuce, such as spring mix or green leaf)
- 1 pint ripe strawberries
- 2 oz chevre (goat cheese)
- ¼ cup blanched, sliced almonds
For the vinaigrette
- 2 T sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 T sesame oil
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar (can sub white balsamic)
- 2–3 T honey (start with 2 and taste for sweetness)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place the sesame seeds in a dry pan over low heat. Toast, stirring often, until seeds just begin to turn brown. Remove pan from stove and set aside.
- Rinse and dry the lettuce and strawberries. Hull and quarter the strawberries. Place lettuce, berries, and almonds in a salad bowl. Crumble the chevre into small pieces and sprinkle on top of the salad.
- In a separate bowl, whisk oils, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper together until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in toasted sesame seeds.
- Pour vinaigrette onto salad (You may not use all of it; reserve an extra for another use) and toss.