This post may contain affiliate links. Full disclosure policy
Nothing lifts the spirits and warms the body like a delicious cup of Hot Buttered Rum on a cold day. My Easy Hot Buttered Rum recipe lets you enjoy this holiday favorite right at home!
Like so many other people, my family and I are sticking close to hearth and home this holiday season. But that doesn’t mean we have to skip out on enjoying our favorite wintertime treats. If there’s one thing we’ve learned this year, it’s how to tap into our own resources and make merry at home. And if you’re looking for a lighter drink for the holiday season, I suggest my collection of low-calorie cocktails.
One of the ways we’ve done that is by making this warm and delicious cocktail at home. This sweet adult treat is incredibly easy to make at home and filled with a wonderful blend of holiday spices. Basically, it’s hot Christmas cheer in a cup!
My Easy Hot Buttered Rum is so Simple to Make
Mixing up a batch of batter to make this easy Hot Buttered Rum is incredibly straightforward. Basically, if you can melt butter and stir, you can make your own drink mix at home in just a few minutes
Best of all, the ingredients for this classic hot holiday beverage are easy to find. In fact, you probably have them in your kitchen already.
What Do You Need to Make Hot Buttered Rum?
All you need to make the batter for my recipe is butter, confectioner’s sugar, brown sugar, vanilla ice cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. My recipe makes about 3 cups of batter, which will make about 12 beverages.
To make the drinks themselves, all you need is hot water or hot apple cider, and some rum.
Rum? Or None? The Choice is Yours!
Hot Buttered Rum is a wonderful adult beverage that can be made with any kind of rum. Dark rum, light rum, or spiced rum will all make for a delicious drink.
But if you don’t drink alcohol or just don’t like rum, it’s easy to make a non-alcoholic version of this cocktail. Simply replace the rum with an equal amount of hot cider. While you can use hot water in the non-alcoholic version, I really recommend using cider instead.
How to Store Your Hot Buttered Rum Mix
One of the great things about this drink mix is that it will keep in the freezer for 3 months.
Since there are only three of us around for the holidays this year, I’m happy to have the makings for a hot, holiday beverage available on an as-needed basis. Next year, when I hope to be entertaining again, I’ll probably double the recipe to serve at parties.
My Easy Hot Buttered Rum is so simple to make and enjoy at home! Try my recipe for winter’s favorite beverage get ready to celebrate with a hot, delicious mug of holiday cheer!Print
For the batter:
- ½ lb butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
To make one Hot Buttered Rum drink:
- 6 ounces (3/4 cup) very hot apple cider or water
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) of batter
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) rum – for non-alcoholic version, replace rum with apple cider
To Make Hot Buttered Rum Mix
- Remove ice cream from freezer and allow to soften while preparing the batter.
- Melt butter on stove over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, removed the pan from the stove and stir in brown sugar, confectioner’s sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and, cloves into the melted butter. Add ice cream to bowl and stir again, until thoroughly combined.
- Store in refrigerator in a jar or closed container if using soon. Or store in freezer for up to 3 months.
To Make Hot Buttered Rum Beverage
- Place 2 ounces of rum and two ounces of hot buttered rum mix in a mug.
- Pour 6 ounces of very hot or boiling apple cider or water in the mug. Stir to combine and serve.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick, dollop of whipped cream, or an additional sprinkle of ground nutmeg if desired.