This post may contain affiliate links. Full disclosure policy
Crunchy cucumber, sweet corn kernels, and the juicy tang of cherry tomatoes in a rich and creamy avocado dressing. My colorful, tasty Cucumber, Corn and Tomato Salad with Easy Avocado Dressing pairs well with so many Spring and Summer dishes!
Cucumber, Corn and Tomato Salad with Easy Avocado Dressing – Great to Share and Goes Everywhere
“Can I bring something?”
It’s the question that comes directly on the heels of most accepted dinner invitations, isn’t it?
We’re all so busy doing all the things these days. So when a dinner guest asks if she can bring a dish to the party, smart hostesses happily accept.
And because we know what it’s like to be busy, the lucky invitees are happy to help. But if you’re anything like me, the second you get off the phone with the hostess, you start stressing about the “something” you just volunteered to bring.
What can you make that will everybody will love? But won’t keep you in the kitchen all day because you’re busy too? A dish that looks beautiful, tastes terrific, and is easy to cook?
My Cucumber, Corn and Tomato Salad ticks off all the boxes and then some! Because in addition to being all of the above, it travels well and can be mostly made ahead. What’s not to love?
Making the Salad
Making my Cucumber, Corn, and Tomato Salad is super easy. As in, peel, chop, slice, and toss everything into a bowl easy.
Prepping the cucumber is just a matter of peeling off the skin, quartering the cuke lengthwise, and cutting quarters into half-inch slices. The cherry tomatoes will be sliced into halves. Cut the ripe avocado that is included in the salad in half, remove the seed, then score it crossways to the peel and scoop out the chunks.
The only cooking involves the corn. Just pop the shucked ears of corn into a big pot of boiling water for about 4 minutes, then remove the ears from the pot and plunge them into cold water. This will stop the cooking process. After that, use a sharp knife to cut the kernels from the cob at the base, making sure to not cut the cob as well.
Once you’ve prepped the veggies, just throw them into a bowl and toss. That’s all there is to it.
Making the Dressing
Though salad tastes terrific as is, the avocado dressing is what brings the whole thing together. The flavors in the dressing really kick things up a notch.
Once again, it’s very easy to make. The whole thing can be done in the blender in less than five minutes.
You’ll put the avocado, oil, and fresh lime juice into the blender bowl. Then you’ll blend everything at a high speed for about half a minute.
Next, add the spices along with a little salt and pepper. Blend until the dressing is perfectly smooth, then taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
That’s it! Easy peasy!
Making My Cucumber, Corn and Tomato Salad with Easy Avocado Dressing Ahead of Time
Especially in the spring and summer, Cucumber, Corn, and Tomato Salad is a great side dish to serve at home. It goes well with just about anything – meat, poultry, fish, or shellfish. But as I said before, it’s also a terrific salad to take along for a potluck or picnic.
Because there’s no lettuce, it’s a sturdy salad that will hold up without wilting. (If you’ve got leftovers, it’s great the next day.) And you can make most of it ahead of time – even the night before – and serve when you’re ready.
That’s what I did last week, when I brought Cucumber, Corn, and Tomato Salad to our monthly couples book club meeting.
Assemble the salad but don’t put in the avocado chunks. Just bring the ripe avocado with you, then add the chunks at the last minute so they don’t turn brown.
Bring the dressing in a container, pour it onto the salad and toss when you’re ready to serve. The lime juice in the dressing will keep it from discoloring but you might want to give it a stir before you pour it onto the salad.
Cucumber, Corn, and Tomato Salad with Easy Avocado Dressing is a healthy, colorful, flavorful salad that complements just about any entrée. Give it a try soon!Print
- 4 ears of corn, cooked and kernels sliced from cob
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, quartered, and cut into ½ inch slices
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 large, ripe avocados (one for salad, one for dressing)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (2 limes)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Make the dressing by placing oil, lime juice, and the flesh from ONE of ripe avocados into the blender bowl. Puree for about thirty seconds. Add garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste and puree until the dressing is perfectly smooth and bright green in color. Taste dressing and adjust spices as necessary. Set aside. (Note: Makes more dressing than is needed for salad. Extra can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.)
- Make the salad by placing the corn kernels, cucumbers slices, and cherry tomatoes halves in a large bowl. Cut ONE of the ripe avocados in half, make crosswise cuts in each half, and scoop the avocado chunks and add to bowl. (To prevent discoloration, don’t add the avocado to the salad until just before serving.)
- Pour the desired amount of dressing onto the salad. Toss and serve. (Leftover dressed salad can be stored covered in the refrigerator and enjoyed the next day.)