For the Salad:
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 14oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped bite-sized
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 1.5 cups shredded cheese, low-fat or regular
- 1 bunch green onions, white and pale green parts sliced (reserve darker green parts for garnish)
- 2 yellow sweet peppers, seeded and chopped bite sized (can sub green or red sweet peppers)
- 2 cups red cabbage, chopped
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 2 ripe, medium avocados
- 3 small limes, juice of
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 T chopped, fresh dill (can sub 2 tsp. dried dill)
- Make the dressing. Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse to create a thick, smooth puree. Because the dressing is very thick, it may be necessary to stop and stir ingredients occasionally with a spatula, then blend again until perfectly smooth. Set aside.
- Using a large, 3-quart trifle bowl or clear glass container, layer the prepared vegetables into the bowl in the following order – lettuce, beans, tomato, cheese, rice, yellow peppers, green onion, red cabbage. Or arrange layers to your personal preference.
- Use a spatula to spoon and spread the dressing smoothly over the top of the salad, all the way to the edges of the bowl. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for several hours or up to overnight before serving.