- Heat olive oil in heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add carrots and onions. Cook 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic. Cook an additional minute.
- Add chicken broth to pot. Increase heat until soup is boiling, then lower to a simmer. Add orzo. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until orzo is cooked.
- Add cooked chicken, lemon zest, lemon juice, dill, salt, pepper, and greens to the pot. Simmer until the greens are just wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the soup pot from heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat two eggs. Add a tablespoon of the soup broth to the eggs and whisk to combine. Keep adding the broth as above, one tablespoon at a time, until the egg/broth mixture is warm. Pour the warmed egg/broth mixture into the soup pot and stir to slightly thicken the broth.
- Adjust salt and pepper according to taste and serve.
- 8 cups chicken stock or broth (homemade is best!)
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 1 ½ cups diced carrots
- 1 bunch sliced green onions, white and green part
- 6 to 10 large leaves of fresh greens, sliced (spinach, chard, kale, collard, or other greens)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked orzo (whole wheat or white)
- 2 large fresh lemons (use zest and juice)
- 1 T dried dill (double the amount if using fresh)
- 2 eggs
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper