- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread cubes on a rimmed baking pan. Drizzle cubes with olive oil, then use hands to gently mix cubes. Spray bread cubes lightlywith cooking to spray to ensure each cube has a little oil on the surface. Sprinkle a little salt and fresh ground pepper over bread cubes, then mix again with hands. Place baking pan in preheated oven. Bake for 7-10 minutes, until bread croutons are a deep golden brown in color.
- While the croutons are baking, whisk olive oil, wine vinegar, mustard, and garlic together in small bowl. Whisk in salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Place tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, basil and capers in bowl. Drizzle vinaigrette over vegetable mixture and toss lightly. Add baked croutons to bowl and toss again. Allow salad to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to one hour before serving.
Ingredients For Salad
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes, seeded and cut into chunks or large dice
- ½ large red onion, cut into thin slices
- ½ large cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, and sliced
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 T capers, drained
- 3 cups sourdough or Italian bread cubes
- 1 T olive oil
- Cooking spray (preferably olive oil spray)
- Kosher Salt
Ingredients For Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T wine vinegar, red or white
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste