- 3lbs tri-tip steak
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 T fresh, fine chopped rosemary (can sub thyme)
- 3 T minced garlic
- 3 T maple syrup (can sub 2 T honey or brown sugar)
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt (reduce salt by half if using soy sauce instead of tamari)
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- Place the tri tip into a large plastic zipper bag or shallow bowl.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients and whisk together. Pour marinade over the meat. Close the zipper bag or cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place the tri tip in the refrigerator for at least 8 but no more than 24 hours. (If using zipper bag, you may want to place the bag inside a bowl to prevent leaks.)
- Preheat the grill to 500 degrees. Sear steak on each side for 3 minutes. Lower grill flame so temperature is approximately 400. Cook steak in closed grill for 20 minutes, then flip over and cook an additional 20 minutes before using a meat thermometer to check interior temperature. Cook to desired temperature: 125 to 130 for rare, 135 to 140 for medium, 145-150 for medium well, 150 plus for well done.
- Remove tri tip from grill and place on a rimmed pan or cutting board. Allow steak to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving. (See post for information on proper slicing.)