- 6 cups shredded zucchini (about 3 – 4 medium zucchini
- 2 cups cooked rice, brown or white
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded parmesan (4 oz)
- ¼ cup minced herbs of your choice (1/2 cup loosely packed herbs will be about ¼ cup minced)
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 T butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Wash and dry the zucchini, cut off the stem end. Shred the zucchini using a box grater or food processer. Place shredded zucchini into a colander in the sink. Stir in 1 tsp of salt and allow to sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the zucchini is resting, chop the onion. Melt butter in a saucepan on stove over medium heat. Cook the onion for 7-8 minutes, until soft and caramelized, beginning to turn golden brown. Turn off heat and set onion aside.
- Mound the salted zucchini in the center of a thin, cotton tea towel. Standing over the sink, twist the edges of the towel, forcing the zucchini into a ball and squeezing out as much liquid as possible.
- Place zucchini, cooked onion, cooked rice, herbs, parmesan cheese, and pepper into a large mixing bowl. Stir with a large spoon to distribute ingredients.
- Crack eggs into a smaller bowl, add yogurt and whisk until smooth and thick. Pour egg mixture over the zucchini mixture and stir to combine.
- Spray an 8 x 8 glass casserole lightly with cooking spray. Pour zucchini and egg mixture into the casserole dish and place in preheated often. Bake for 50 minutes, until casserole is golden brown. Serve hot or cold.