- 1 large yellow or white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 T oil (coconut, olive, or butter)
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb ripe pears, peeled and diced
- 1 can coconut milk (regular or lite)
- 4 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (may substitute other spice, see post for suggestions)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- Cook onions in oil on stovetop over medium high heat until they’re soft, translucent, and just beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes
- Place cooked onions and all other ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low heat setting for 8 hours, or high for 4.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup. (Alternatively, puree in batches in a countertop blender, taking care not to burn yourself with hot soup).
- Taste soup and adjust spices as desired.