- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced and slivered
- 2 inches fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 lbs ripe but slightly firm peaches, peeled, pitted and cut to approximately 1-inch dice
- 1 tsp. dried red pepper flakes (1 tsp is hot but not blazing, ½ tsp is spicy but mild)
- ½ tsp salt
- Place vinegar, onion, ginger root, raisins, and cardamom an enameled cast-iron Dutch oven, casserole, or very heavy-bottomed pot. Add brown sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Simmer vinegar and onion mixture over low heat for about 10 minutes, until onions are soft. Add peaches and red pepper flakes to the pot. Simmer chutney over low heat, stirring occasionally, for one hour, until the peaches are soft and the chutney is golden brown and slightly thickened.