- 2 ¾ cups flour, plus more for rolling out dough
- ¼ cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 T baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup very cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 T heavy cream (can substitute melted butter)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk dry ingredients together.
- Using a food processor, pastry cutter, or two knives cutting crosswise, cut cold butter in flour mixture until the butter pieces are the size of small pebbles and mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Pour milk and lemon juice into a small bowl and stir together. Pour milk and lemon juice mixture into dry ingredients and stir with wooden spoon or spatula until all the ingredients just come together into a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Flour your hands, gather the dough into a ball, and press into a rectangle, about 1 inch thick. Flour the top the dough and fold in half. Sprinkle more flour over the dough and roll into a rectangle again. Repeat the folding and rolling three more times, until the dough is dryer and stops sticking to the surface.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 8 squares. Transfer the shortcake biscuits onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush the tops of the biscuits with cream or melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place baking pan into preheated oven and bake for 20 to 24 minutes, until the shortcake tops are golden brown.
- Remove shortcake biscuits from the oven, cool thoroughly on a baking rack. Cut shortcakes in half and serve with berries or fruit mixed with a little sugar and whipped cream.