- 4 cups fresh peas (can substitute 2 10 oz. packages of frozen peas if needed, reserve a few for garnish)
- 4 cups chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth for vegetarian or vegan soup)
- 1 large fugi apple, cored and chopped
- ¼ cup packed mint leaves, chopped (extra for garnish)
- 1 large shallot, peeled and chopped
- 2 T butter (can substitute olive oil for vegan soup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Greek yogurt or crème fraiche to garnish (leave out if making vegan soup)
- Place butter in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped shallot to melted butter. Cook for five to seven minutes, until shallots are soft, translucent, and just being to caramelize.
- Add chopped apple and peas to pot. Cook two more minutes, to slightly soften apple and peas.
- Add chicken or vegetable broth. Raise temperature to bring soup just to boiling. Then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, ten minutes. Add mint leaves to soup and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Remove soup from heat. Use an immersion blender to puree soup in the pot, or puree in batches, using a blender. (Soup can be a perfectly smooth puree or a little chunky, with pieces of vegetable present, it’s up to you.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a garnish of fresh mint, whole peas, and a dollop of yogurt or Crème Fraiche.