- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 10 large basil leaves, sliced in chiffonade, plus more or garnish
- 3 green onions, white and pale green parts, sliced thinly
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 t. garlic powder
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 oz grated Parmesan cheese (real cheese, not the kind in the green can)
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 large cloves fresh garlic, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix tomatoes, basil, onions, vinegar, and garlic powder together in bowl. Set aside, allowing flavors to meld while making the toast.
- Place olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add sliced fresh garlic to pan. Fry garlic in oil until fragrant and golden brown.
- Briefly dip top of baguette bread slices into oil on both sides, then place on baking sheet.
- Put baking sheet in oven to toast bread, flipping slices halfway through. Toast about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until bread is just beginning to brown. Remove pan from oven and allow toast slices to cool.
- Mix shredded Parmesan into tomato basil mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon a generous scoop of the tomato mixture onto each slice of toast. Garnish with a fresh basil leaf and serve.