- One 4–6 lb. pie pumpkin or sugar pumpkin (It’s important to use the right kind of pumpkin!)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. (Parchment isn’t required but it makes cleanup easier.)
- Cut the pumpkin in half, using a large, sharp kitchen knife. Remove the stem.
- Scoop out the seeds and stringy interior with a large spoon, scraping the sides until the inside pumpkin flesh is clean and smooth. (Reserve the seeds for later. They’re delicious roasted in the oven with salt, pepper, and a little oil or butter.)
- Cut the halves again, creating four total pieces of pumpkin. Place on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle each piece with a little salt.
- Place pan in oven. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until the pumpkin flesh is very soft. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the roasted pumpkin to cool.
- Scoop the cooled, soft pumpkin flesh from the skin. Place in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Alternatively, place pumpkin in a bowl and smash with a potato masher or back of a fork until smooth.