- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder, plus 1 tsp for dusting pan
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups pureed beets
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 4 oz. good semisweet chocolate
- 1 T coconut oil
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
Crushed peppermint candy for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch cake pan (3 inches deep) with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, spraying paper lightly with cooking spray. Dust pan with a teaspoon of cocoa powder, tapping out any extra.
- Place flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Place eggs, water, oil, peppermint extract, and beets in large bowl or stand mixer bowl. Mix wet ingredients at medium-high speed, until well combined. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, a third at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Cool cake on wire rack for at least 20 minutes before removing from pan. Allow cake to cool before pouring on glaze.
- To make glaze, place semisweet chocolate and coconut oil into a heavy bottomed pan over medium low heat, stirring to melt. Stir in peppermint extract.
- Allow glaze to cool for 15 minutes. Pour glaze over cake, using a spatula to even out the glaze and drip it down sides. Allow cake to sit at room temperature for an hour or two before serving, so glaze can set.