8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 cup corn kernels (fresh is best but canned works too)
½ of a small jicama, peeled and julienned
4 roma tomatoes, washed, seeded, and diced
1 large or 2 small avocados, diced
4 green onions, white and green parts, washed and chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
1 pound cooked chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
¾ cup barbeque sauce (your favorite brand)
Marie’s homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing, half the recipe or approximately ¾ cup.
- Wash, dry and chop romaine lettuce and place in large, wide bowl or platter.
- Wash and chop remaining vegetables as listed above, place on top of romaine, composing each ingredient into a separate group for a visually pleasing appearance. (If you’re preparing salad ahead of time, don’t add avocado until just before serving. See instructions in post.)
- Place bite-sized chicken pieces in a separate small bowl and toss with barbeque sauce to coat.
- Place chicken and cheese, if using, on top of the salad.
- Pour ranch dressing over salad, toss, and serve. Tortilla chips are a nice accompaniment to this salad, either served on the side or crushed and sprinkled on top.
Keywords: recipes, salad, healthy