- 1 and 2/3 cup non-fat Greek yogurt “cheese”. (Greek yogurt drained in a yogurt strainer overnight)
- 6 large eggs, separated (5 extra large, 5 jumbo)
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 T flour (can sub gluten free flour)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ T fresh lemon juice
For Blueberry Sauce
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 T sugar
- 1 T water
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Beat eggs whites with electric beaters, medium speed, until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar for on medium high speed for 3 minutes, until mixture is pale yellow and thick. Lower beater speed to medium. Add flour (sift), yogurt cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice and beat for one minute, until well combine.
- Carefully fold in egg whites into yolk and sugar mixture until there are just a few streaks of egg white visible.
- Pour into prepared pan and place on middle rack of pre-heated oven. Bake 50 minutes.
- While cake is baking, prepare blueberry sauce. Stir berries, sugar, water, and lemon juice together in a small, heavy bottomed pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Removed baked cake from oven and allow to cool. Center of cake will fall slighly during cooling.
- When cake is cool, run a knife around the edge of the springform pan and carefully remove the ring. Spread cooked blueberry sauce on the top. Serve when completely cooled.