For the grilled chicken
- 1 chicken breast (12 oz)
- 2 T minced rosemary
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
For the salad
- 6 cups spring mix, baby leaf, or other tender lettuce
- 1.5 cups fresh blackberries
- Grilled chicken
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ½ ripe avocado, sliced
- *1 large shallot, sauteed in olive oil until soft (optional)
For the vinaigrette (makes more than needed for recipe)
- 1 large orange, juice of (approximately 1/3 cup)
- 2 tsp fresh orange zest
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 T white balsamic vinegar (can sub rice vinegar)
- 2 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Make the marinade for the grilled chicken. Whisk rosemary, olive oil, lemon juice, kosher salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Place chicken breast into a shallow dish or plastic zipper bag and pour marinade over the chicken. Marinade the chicken in the refrigerator for at least four hours or overnight.
- Cook the marinated chicken on an outdoor grill on cast iron grill pan until the interior temperature reaches 165 degrees. Slice cooked chicken and set aside.
- Make the vinaigrette. Whisk the orange juice, orange zest, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning. (Makes approximately one cup of vinaigrette. Reserve extra for another use.)
- Make the salad. Place lettuce in large bowl and toss with ¼ cup of the vinaigrette. Place half the dressed salad onto each of two plates. Top each salad with half the grilled chicken, half the blackberries, half the sliced avocado, and half the blue cheese. Drizzle an additional tablespoon or two of the vinaigrette over the top of the salad.
- Serve immediately.