2 T unsalted butter
¼ cup brown sugar
3 T granulated sugar
1.5 pounds of Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1.5 pounds of Honey Crisp apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
½ cup fresh cranberries
2 t lemon juice
1 t ground cinnamon
¼ t ground nutmeg
1 t ice water
1 t granulated sugar
1 T apricot preserves
Dough for one piecrust
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and white sugar granulated sugars and cook until they dissolve. Stir in apples, cranberries, lemon juice, and spices. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chilled piecrust onto a large piece of parchment. Roll dough out into a large oval shape. Place rolled out crust and parchment onto a baking pan. Heap cooled apple cranberry mixture into the center of the crust. Fold crust edges up around loosely over sides of tart and press gently to seal, only partially covering the apples. Brush 1 t. ice water over crust and sprinkle with 1 t. sugar.
- Place tart in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Place apricot preserves in small bowl. Stir in 1 teaspoon water and microwave for 20 seconds. Brush apricot glaze over the apples.
- Serve warm or cold. Lovely with a little vanilla ice cream.