- 1 long, thin baguette, cut crosswise into 24 slices
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup freshly grated, real parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven broiler
- Put bread slices on a cooking sheet and place in the oven on a top rack to broil. Toast for a just a minute or two, until bread begins to turn golden brown. Remove pan from oven, flip slices over and repeat the above to toast the other side. (Watch bread carefully! You want slices that are golden brown, not burnt.) Remove toasted bread from oven and set aside.
- In small bowl, use a fork or spoon to mix together mayonnaise and cheese.
- Spread mayonnaise/cheese topping onto toasted bread slices, approximately 1 tablespoon of topping per slice.
- Return prepared toast slices to cooking sheet. Place cooking sheet back under broiler for 2 to 4 minutes, until the appetizers begin to bubble and turn pale golden brown. Remove pan from broiler.
- If desired, sprinkle appetizers with a little fresh chopped basil or thyme before serving. Serve warm or cooled. (But warm is my favorite!)