- 6 cups 1-inch Italian bread cubes
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 6 oz Neufchatel cheese or cream cheese, cut in small cubes or pieces
- 1/3 cup prepared lemon curd
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 T cornstarch
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup prepared lemon curd
- 1 T lemon juice
- Place 4 cups of bread cubes in a greased, ovenproof baking dish. Sprinkle blueberries and cheese cubes or piece over bread. Dot spoonfuls of lemon curd over mixture. Layer remaining 2 cups of bread cubes over the top.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, syrup, and vanilla. Pour egg mixture over the casserole. Cover place in refrigerator overnight, or for at least 8 hours.
- Remove pan from refrigerator 20 to 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350.
- Place casserole in preheated oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until egg mixture is cooked and set. (If the top begins to get too brown, cover with casserole with foil for last 20 minutes of baking.)
- Place water, sugar, and cornstarch in a pan on stove, over medium high heat, and bring to a boil. Stir constantly for 3 to 4 minutes, until mixture is thick and syrupy. Add blueberries continue stirring until the berries are soft and releasing juice, another 2 to 3 minutes. Add lemon curd and lemon juice to pan. Stir to combine.
- Remove casserole from oven. Pour the sauce over the top of the casserole and serve.