8 slices white bread, toasted and cut into 1-inch cubes
¾ lb uncured, brown sugar ham, medium diced
1 c Swiss cheese, shredded
1 1/2 c Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 tsp kosher salt
2/3 c ricotta cheese
1/4 c honey mustard
8 large eggs
1 c whole milk
1/3 c raspberry jam
Maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9X13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, ricotta, mustard, whole milk, and salt. Whisk until yolks, egg whites, and other ingredients are fully combined.
- In the same bowl, add bread cubes, diced ham, shredded Swiss cheese, and only ½ cup gruyere. Gently mix with your hands or a wooden spoon until combined, then transfer to a greased baking dish. Smooth the top so that the bread is in an even layer, then cover the top with the remaining 1 cup of gruyere cheese. (If you’re preparing ahead of time, cover the pan with foil and put in the refrigerator up to twelve hours before you plan to serve, then move on to Step 4.)
- Place the dish in the center of the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the center is set and no longer wiggly, and the cheese is browned and golden.
- When casserole is done, remove from the oven and allow it to cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Enjoy this casserole with a sprinkle with powdered sugar, a dollop of jam, and a drizzle of maple syrup.