- 1 T olive oil
- 4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced very thin (between 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch)
- 6 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 8 oz parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 T fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt
- 2.5 cups heavy cream (See recipe note – can add additional cream, or add whole milk to the cream if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease an 9×13 glass baking dish or 3-quart casserole with the olive oil.
- Layer a third of the potatoes in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with 1/3 tsp kosher salt and few grinds of fresh pepper. Sprinkle a third of the thyme, a third of the parmesan and third of the blue cheese over the seasoned potato layer.
- Repeat the above step twice more, until you have three layers of seasoned potatoes and cheese.
- Pour the cream evenly over the potatoes and cheese (see recipe note about the cream amounts) and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake on center rack in preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Remove foil from the dish, increase oven temperature to 400 degrees, and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Allow the dish to cool for 15 minutes before serving.